Spicy and full of flavour, this delicious masaledar chicken lollipop is just perfect choice for holiday. It is a succulent treat that lives up to the name and no one can have just one.
For the masala: 8 guntur chillies, 6-7 boriya mirch, 1 inch konb of ginger, 5-6 cloves of garlic, 2 green chillies, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp fennel, 5-6 peppercorns, 1 stick cinnamon, white pepper, 4 cloves, 15 curry leaves, 1 tsp coriander seeds, handful of coriander leaves, 1 tsp turmeric, a pinch of sea salt and 1-2 tsp oil.
For the chicken: 8-10 chicken lollipops with the skin, 1 tsp turmeric, salt, 1-2 tsp red chilli powder, 2 tsp oil+ oil to sear the lollipops, and sugar.
For the base: 2-3 tsp oil, 2 tsp mustard seeds, 7-8 curry leaves, ½ onion, ½ tbsp. masala, 3 tsp tamarind paste, 1 tsp jaggery powder, juice of ½ lemon, coriander leaves to garnish.
For the masala:
- For a minute, dry roast all the ingredients together in a pan.
- In a mortar and pestle pound together all the ingredients.
- In the blender, transfer it and make a fine paste.
For the Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken lollipops with salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and 2 tsp oil.
- In a pan, add a little oil and sear the lollipops from all sides till they half cooked.
- Add some sugar according to taste and cook more for some time.
For the base:
- In the pan, add refined oil followed with mustard seeds, few curry leaves and onion. Stir them well together.
- Add the chicken lollipops and masala into the base and saute them well.
- Add water, jaggery, tamarind extract. Mix them well and cover the top.
- Add lemon, toss well and cook till chicken is well done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.